(Fractured Light #2)
Llona will do whatever it takes to protect her new found friends and home, but the dark plot threatening Lucent Academy, a school that’s supposed to be a safe place for Auras, may be too powerful for even Llona to defeat. This fast-paced tale of love, loyalty, and overcoming the darkness will keep you on the edge of your seat until the last page!
What others are saying:
“I love these books! A kick-butt heroine and a hottie love interest, with a refreshingly original concept. Be prepared—once you start, these are hard to put down.”
—Paula Cotton, book reviewer at ReadingLark.blogspot.com
“Fractured Soul is a brilliant sequel, exceeding even the remarkable first book in the series. It will haunt your every waking moment between the times you’re reading it, and it will stay with you long after you’ve finished. It’s an amazingly well written and engrossing story that I highly recommend—after you’ve read the first one, of course.”
—Cindy Bennett, bestselling author of Geek Girl & Rapunzel Untangled
I must start by saying that I haven’t read the first in this series. Does it matter in this instance? I don’t suppose it does, for I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
It’s been a while since I’ve encountered a main character as individual as Llona. Even though the main story is about the darkness that’s threatening to take over, her true personality remains prominent. I couldn’t help but like her. When a protagonist rolls up their sleeves, gets their hands dirty, and puts up a fight; that dear reader, is what it’s all about! It didn’t play a big part in the story, but I also appreciated the romance. It was believable, loving, and it made me want to read the first book, mainly to find out more about Christian. Their trust and understanding of commitment to one another rang true, even in times when Llona doesn’t consciously know it.
On occasion the narrative fell a little flat, but these moments were fleeting. The tension is intended to be high, but I wasn’t always convinced of it. In fact, I found it a tad predictable at times. I’ll leave it up to you to decide whether that’s because I read a lot of YA books or not. A few times I had to remind myself that it was a fantasy book, and not get irritated by completely unbelievable aspects (like running about with a broken leg etc.). The fight scenes are gritty, bloody, satisfying to read, and I looked forward to reading more of them as the story progressed.
On a superficial note, in the kindle*version a lovely visual happens each time you finish a chapter and click to start the next. Each new chapter has a faint swirling pattern at the top that turns bold as you click. It’s pretty, and I appreciate the little things.
Fractured Soul is most defiantly a Young Adult book, catering to a younger audience and doing so well. If you can read quickly, then you’ll tear through it in no time. There’s a great mix of action, romance and characters to get you hooked on the series, with plenty of promise of more to come.
Llona Reese is used to living on the run. After the Vykens killed her parents, she knew they would eventually come for her too. She can’t take any chances. But when she starts to make friends for the first time in her life, she gets careless and lets her guard down. Big mistake.
As an Aura, Llona can manipulate light and harness its energy. But if she wants to survive, Llona will have to defy the Auran Council and learn to use her power as a weapon against the Vyken whose sole desire is to take her light. Now she’s caught in something even bigger than she can understand, with a power she can’t wield, and no one she can trust, except, just maybe, a mysterious stranger.
Rachel McClellan was born and raised in Idaho, a place secretly known for its supernatural creatures. When she’s not in her writing lair, she’s partying with her husband and four crazy, yet lovable, children. Rachel’s love for storytelling began as a child when the moon first possessed the night. For when the lights went out, her imagination painted a whole new world. And what a scary world it was…
A Little Q&A with Rachel McClellan...
Q: What was the inspiration behind this book?
I wasn’t sure there was going to be a sequel to Fractured Light up until the very end. Those who have read it will know why. Fractured Soul is Llona’s journey as she learns to overcome the new darkness inside her.
Q: Is there a particular theme or message you are trying to convey in your story? If so, what?
There is a subtle theme about overcoming our inner monster. No matter what has happened to us, whatever the pain, anger we may harbour, we still have a choice on whether or not to listen to this poison or learn to conquer it.
Q: What's your next project?
The next book in the series, Fractured Truth, will be available next spring. I’m also shopping around a YA Gothic paranormal titled UNLEASHED. It’s sort of a young adult version of Jekyll and Hyde.
Q: Who is your favourite character to write?
I love to write about Llona. She has so many qualities that I want myself. I really believe that by writing strong characters, I, too, become a stronger person.
Q: What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I love adventures and seek them out whenever possible. Because my husband is in graduate school full time, I learnt really quickly that if I wanted to have adventures, I was going to have to take my four kids with me. Although it can be difficult at times, it has been a great experience for all of us.
Q: Tell me 3 things about yourself that is not connected to writing.
- I’ve been skydiving and loved it.
- I played Macbeth in my high school play. Yeah, that’s right. The dude part.
- The first boy I ever kissed is currently in jail for murder. Glad I dodged that bullet!
Check all the great tour stops out and don’t forget to join the International giveaway running at
Dark World Books
Dark World Books
Fractured Soul Tour schedule:
- April 1st | ReadingRenee (Giveaway, Excerpt)
- April 2nd | Ash Krafton’s Demimonde (Giveaway, Excerpt)
- April 3rd | White Sky Project (Author Interview)
- April 4th | Frankie Blooding’s Bookshelf (Excerpt)
- April 5th | Happy Tails and Tales (Review, Author Interview, Giveaway, Excerpt)
- April 8th | Darkest Sins (Giveaway, Excerpt)
- April 9th | The Ferryman’s Wife (Review, Author Interview)
- April 10th | The Avid Reader (Character Interview, Excerpt)
- April 11th | Nomi’s Paranormal Palace (Giveaway, Excerpt)
- April 12th | Justified Lunacy (Review, Author Interview)
- April 15th | Road to Hell series (Author Interview)
- April 16th | Realms of an Open Mind (Giveaway, Excerpt)
- April 17th | Mind Reader (Character Interview, Excerpt)
- April 18th | Unputdownable Books (Giveaway, Excerpt)
- April 19th | Sapphyria’s Book Reviews (Giveaway, Excerpt)
- April 22nd | JennRenee Read (Review, Giveaway, Excerpt)
- April 23rd | Tana Rae Reads (Excerpt)
- April 24th | Seeing Night Reviews (Review, Giveaway)
- April 25th | ReadingRenee (Review)
- April 26th | Romancing the Dark Side (Character Interview, Giveaway)
- April 29th | Much Loved Books (Excerpt)
- April 30th | Shah Wharton’s WordsinSync (Author Interview, Giveaway, Excerpt)
- May 1st | Bittersweet Enchantment (Author Interview, Giveaway)
- May 2nd | Mother/Gamer/Writer (Review, Giveaway)
- May 3rd | The Reading Diaries (Review)