Pages

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Now We Are Six... Going on Sixty (Speakeasy #96)


I threw it on the ground and burst into tears.

Stars and hearts bring out my worst fears.


Being graded, degraded, for tasks and chores,

Stickers on charts, pinned up on doors.


“Do this! Do that! And do it quicker!

Do it the fastest, and you’ll get a sticker!”


Just because I cannot articulate


Doesn't mean I'm unable to stipulate:

Tough cookies, mummy, I don’t want to today!

I'm not tidying a thing, now let me go and play.
 
 

13 comments:

  1. Damn the man! Damn the stickers! I liked being in this little person's head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! You have such a talent for rhyming and rhythm, it's amazing! Wonderful capture of some of the frustrations of childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Such a fun poem and you really captured a child's thinking process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me chuckle -- LOVED it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little 'tude from the little dude in the 'hood. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these six year old thoughts, you are so talented at poetry! And we always thought they liked stickers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the rhythm, the attitude, the brevity - fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful image of the indignation of a child!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hah, I guess not everyone likes those kind of rewards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Most of what I say about verse is moronic, so I'll try to say little. So:

    That was defiantly wonderful. Just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hehehehe this goes well with mine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this - felt very authentic and flowed so easily. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete